My Sabbatical - Why sometimes it's important to take time out.

Wednesday 11 October 2017

The last year has been one of the busiest, most challenging and most overwhelming of my life. During my final few months at uni it was often a case of get your head down and solider on, it often felt like I didn't have much of a choice.
Following my graduation and me finally saying toodle pip to education, the main questions I seem to get asked are things along the lines of, 'when are you getting a job?' and 'how's the job hunt going?'. Following my response I usually get greeted with a disappointed or concerned face, which is never very helpful.

But I'm here today, to say that actually, at the moment I'm not looking for a job. And that's ok.
I know, I know. It's a shock. I'm a 21 year old fashion grad not chomping at the bit to get on the career ladder - who would've thought one of those existed?
But I'm only human, and so are you. (unless you're one of those automated internet robot things who've found your way onto this blog post) Despite the expectations of the world and society and often those around you, being human means you can't always go, go, go at 100 miles an hour, 24/7, 365 days a year. Sometimes you have to take abit of time out, or, as I'm calling it, a sabbatical. Sometimes we just need time to breathe and to think and to sleep.
I have very high expectations and standards for myself, and it's taken me a while to realise that I'm not a failure for taking some time out. In my case it's from a career and the 24/7 rat race that is the modern world, but for you it could be education, a sport, a friendship, social media, the list goes on really.



Taking time out to recalibrate and just breathe for 5 minutes can be so so helpful. For me it's really helping me to learn things about myself, to figure out what makes me happy, to see where I might want to go in life. It's also giving me time to grieve and consider where I want to be in 5 or 10 years time without the pressure of having to be at an office for 9am every morning.

In this crazy, constant world that we live in I find there is daily pressure from various sources to get to the career ladder, be the best, be a girlboss, be a champion, be a winner, be able to juggle 40 things at once. Basically be a bloomin' superhero. This is something that I felt even more so whilst at university, and I've had to slowly teach myself that the only person I need to compare myself to, is me. Not the other girls on my degree that are working at big name fashion brands, or the friends who are getting engaged and buying houses - but me, Holly Jane Cooke.

Comparing my journey to someone else's isn't good for anyone. Right now, I need my sabbatical, I need the space to breathe, grieve and really process and consider what it is I want to do it with my life and where I want to do it. Trying to be someone I'm not and jump feet first in a chaotic full time 9-6 job would not be honoring myself and my needs, and would definitely not be good for anyone. This is something I'm still learning and figuring out for myself on a daily basis.

Sometimes taking time out is just putting a bit more self care into your life and daily routine, and for you that could be all the sabbatical you need. But maybe like me you need abit longer. You need some space to clear your head and recalibrate yourself and your life. And I'm here today to tell you that, that's perfectly ok. Actually it's more than ok. The world can have it's standards and thoughts and judgements, but who needs them?
Looking after yourself and your life is so important, especially in the face of tough times. Give yourself a break, be kind to yourself and if you need a bit of time out, take it. This is your life.

Love
God Bless